by Margaret, 10th May 2019.
This week many students take their final exams and they will have to write a text or two in English for their English exam. Here are some general tips and advice:
- Read carefully the instruction (what you are expected to write) and before you start writing, make a list of ideas you are going to focus on.
- Make your writing interesting and personal. If you have to express your opinion (essay, blog), do it. Let the readers know what your opinion on a given subject is.
- Don’t forget about paragraphs (Absätze). A paragraph is a small chunk of writing starting with a sentence which summarizes what comes in that paragraph.
- Use linking words (Bindewörter) to link your sentences within a text and words within a sentence. You can download a list of linking words from here.
- Depending on the text, use a wide range of words and expressions, appropriate tense forms and adverbs.
- Don’t forget about using the “direct speech” (Direkte Rede) when you write a story.